Thursday, November 6, 2008

Erwin Mcmanus

Last night Erwin Mcmanus was the speaker at our concerence. His message was about the spaces we create. Our tendency is to create spaces that are comfortable for people who are exactly like ourselves. That is the reason that churches are so segregated and lack diversity. It is also a major reason why the world think that church people or Christians are closed minded, jugemental, hypocrites. He used Pauls example of strategic spaces in Athens where he created dialogue. Eventually they invited him to their space because he met them where they were at. I was challenged to break out of the safe space I have created for people I am comfortable with and similar to, and begin intentionslb relationships with people who don't think or even believe the same as I do. The greatest quote he gave was "I would gladly receive the disdain of the entire religious community to reach one soul with
the love and forgiveness of Jesus Christ." if we are going to reach people with Gods love we are going to tick off the religious community. The question should always be, "what is my motivation?"

1 comment: