Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Dental work is not fun


I hate dental work, one of my least favorite things in the world to do is to go to the dentist, whether for a simple cleaning or a root canal (OK that is much, much worse) It brings back a some of the simple principles in both my spiritual life and life in general. namely, If I don't take care of the smaller things, they can end up being very big things. Its also very important who you entrust the care of your teeth to. Although I'd like to think that I have proper teeth hygiene and do a adequate job, I need help. So in comes a dentist. NEWSFLASH!!! all dentists are not equal. Today I went to the dentist for some work. For the last 5 years I went to a dentist for cleaning. He was great! it never hurt and I was in and out in a flash. I recently changed dentists, and low and behold I have major issues that are going to require major work as well as some of the heavy stuff. It turns out the guy who taking care of my teeth for the last 5 years was only interested on getting paycheck and not so much my teeth. So here I am paying the consequences for enjoying the nice easy dentist who didn't hurt rather than one who would get in there and get rid of the junk.

Questions to ponder: Are there some small things lurking around in my life that need attention before they get huge? Do I only pursue easy comfortable options. And am I entrusting my spiritual life to the right person? Am I trusting myself? Who are the people who are influences in my life?

I am looking forward to getting this pain and suffering over quickly when it has to do with my teeth. I also want to make sure I don't end up with a lot of damaging things in my personal and spiritual life due to neglect and not so positive influences in my life.

Sometime corny illustrations can make a huge impact on our lives. Although I wont be using this a sermon illustration any time soon- I am going to heed some simple wisdom and take a closer look at my life and those I allow in it.

No comments: