Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sacrifice


Sacrifice is a tough word to handle, because it goes against the way we have been trained to think. I also think that many times well intentioned people capitalize on peoples guilt and shame to coax others into doing something that benifits their cause.

I believe that Jesus' challenge to his followers in Mark 8:32-34 of "taking up your cross and folllow" was never intended to be riddled with guilt, but rather done out of love. If we begin to look at the many things that Jesus did for us, and truly view these as being directly for us rather than just another religious thing he did, we will have a desire to sacrifice things in order to draw closer to him, (out of love not out of shame.)

I made a challenge (to myself as well) for anyone who is willing to look for ways to sacrifice for the good of others this week, I hope today to be find some opportunities where I can give up something so that someone else may benefit from God's love.

No comments: