Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Listening to the Right voice

I just read this:

BEIJING (AP)—While Lee Ok-sung got his glove fixed with 35 seconds left, Rau’shee Warren turned in his neutral corner and searched for a clear voice in the cacophony of shouted advice.

Warren swore he heard somebody in the stands yelling “Move! Move!”, meaning the world champion flyweight had the lead and should simply avoid getting punched to win. His coaches were screaming the opposite message from their ringside seats, because Warren actually trailed 9-8 and needed to attack.

In a painfully perfect illustration of what might be the U.S. boxing team’s biggest problem, Warren listened to what he thought his friends, family or teammates were telling him. It cost him a chance at the medal he waited four years to hang around his mother’s neck.

I was reminded of the need to seek out my Father, my Savior and my Guide when it comes to the choices and decisions in my life. There are a lot of voices out there saying a lot of things, there may even be some well-meaning people out there trying to give us good advice, but when it comes to right down to it, I need to learn to hear from God directly- to hear His voice. Jesus says in the book of John, "my sheep hear my voice and they know me." The more time I spend with him and practice listening to his voice the more my choices and life situations will reflect the Amazing God we Serve.

No comments: