Monday, January 19, 2009

Encouragement vs. Discouragement


Sometimes my humanness gets the best of me and I begin to question myself and my worth. I wish that I was more prone to be perfectly content with the way God made me and that I was perfectly at peace with him in control. But the truth is that I seek to control things and when things don't work out the way I had dreamed I face discouragement.

I think balance is the key to finding a place of peace in this life. I know that I shouldn't take myself to seriously, but I also need to be like Paul as he says in Philippians to press on toward the goal.

That being said, I still find encouragement to be a huge lift, after spending 15 years with teenagers and about 20 working in church related ministries its nice to get a little notion that I am making a difference in the lives of people I encounter.

I got this message today: "Thanks Joel! We are very happy together. Your family is beautiful! We hope to see you guys someday too. Thanks for providing us a strong foundation for living a christian. We will never forget you."

I believe that God doesn't want us to be spiritual superhero's who don't need affirmation, he created us with needs that need to be met. As long as our life goal isn't seeking these needs but rather seeking to connect with God and others, encouragement can be a healthy boost.

So I am going to accept my humanness and the need that I have to be significant, but I will also embrace the Idea that my true worth and significance can only be found in the person of Jesus Christ.


No comments: