Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday- ALready! (transformation and freedom)


In the transformation process it is easy to begin to get frustrated with yourself for not getting enough done. Life has a crazy way of just happening to me. Here it is Thursday and I feel like I have so many things to do and not enough time in the day (I haven't even written since Saturday, Oh the guilt and shame). There are also so many things that come in and take precedence over the things that I want to get done. I am learning (slowly) that my plans aren't always what God want to get done. When I set out to plan my work week and try to get things done I didn't anticipate spending a good portion of my time spending time with a grieving family and planning a funeral. But their hurt and God's desire to use me in this situation is more important than any of the "cool stuff" I had planned.
I really feel every Christian's role in life is to simply be Jesus to people, again its not a strict list of things to avoid and a list of things we should be doing, it is allowing Christs love to throw through our lives. Transformation occurs and we become more like him, not when we achieve perfection, because we are incapable. The hard thing is to prevent our own flesh from allowing us to live in this freedom, either through selfishness or religious attempts at spiritual growth. I love how Paul states this in Romans 6. Before he met Jesus he was an extreme legalist who followed a list of do's and don'ts, he also followed people around and made sure they were doing the same. But when he met Jesus his life transformed. In Romans 6 here is what he said about righteousness.
15-18So, since we're out from under the old tyranny, does that mean we can live any old way we want? Since we're free in the freedom of God, can we do anything that comes to mind? Hardly. You know well enough from your own experience that there are some acts of so-called freedom that destroy freedom. Offer yourselves to sin, for instance, and it's your last free act. But offer yourselves to the ways of God and the freedom never quits. All your lives you've let sin tell you what to do. But thank God you've started listening to a new master, one whose commands set you free to live openly in his freedom!
Indulging in sin is not freedom, neither is following a strict list of religious rules, both place us in bondage. Freedom comes from accepting this amazing crazy love that God shows, and not allowing our sinful nature to control us. Its not about doing better or being a better Christian, It is simply letting Jesus be Jesus in us and to others.

I am thankful that "my plans" have been turned upside down and I look forward to being Jesus to this family in desperate need of Jesus' these next few days. There are things I wanted to get done and things I have set out to do that will not happen. But the transformation I am seeking will not happen on my terms or through my list of challenges I have set before myself.

The genuine transformation process doesn't having a formula, other than Loving God and Loving others, plain and simple.

Romans 8 Paul shares this about how to live in Freedom and experience Spiritual Growth and Transformation when we finally realize we cannot do it through out own hard work.

5-7Those who think they can do it on their own end up obsessed with measuring their own moral muscle but never get around to exercising it in real life. Those who trust God's action in them find that God's Spirit is in them—living and breathing God! Obsession with self in these matters is a dead end; attention to God leads us out into the open, into a spacious, free life. Focusing on the self is the opposite of focusing on God.

No comments: