Tuesday, December 18, 2007

SLOW MOTION 4


"I can't believe I just said that." "I wish I wouldn't have said that." Have you ever thought that? I have on multiple occasions. Why does that question seem to make a frequent appearance in my life? One of the first things that goes out the window when we get caught up in the fast paced life is our ability to make logical decisions. When things are going on so fast around us, we (or should I say "I") tend to make decisions based on the here and now. One of the disciplines of being a Follower of Jesus is that we base our decisions based on what the future holds not based on how I feel at the moment. (that is living life in slow-motion) If we really think about it some of the worst things we say are when we get caught up in a situation and say something stupid without thinking about the consequences of our words. Solomon says it well when he says " There is more hope for a fool than for someone who speaks without thinking. Proverbs 29:20." I am making an effort to live life in slow motion which means not making quick decisions based on feelings and not responding quickly with my words. I hope this is something that will stick beyond just a seasonal effort, but rather become a habit in my life. The one thing you find in the word of God that we are supposed to do quickly and without thinking, is to obey God. I hope I am quick to obedience and slow. James chapter 1 has some amazing advice, the whole chapter is awesome nut specifically verses 19-20 "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires."

No comments: