Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Do you have a Jerrod?

These next couple of weeks at elevate we are going to be learning what it means to be involved in "community." We may all live in a community whether that be Visalia, Tulare, Hanford, or elsewhere. But few of us truly experience community as God intended it to be. Many of us are constantly around people and encounter scores of people everyday, but do we really know who those poeple really are and do they really know us. Jerrod is one of my favorite poeple in life, what I like about him is that he forces me to be "me" when I am around him. That may not always be comfortable or the easy thing to do but it is exactly what I need. I don't have to be "pastor Joel" or have it all together when we talk, in fact he would call me on it ii I was. Authentic Honest relationships are really the only way to experience true community, where we can be like they were in Acts 2:42-47 "being committed" or "devoted" to one another, and making sure to take care of any one in need. looking forward to getting gritty and uncomfortable in the next few weeks- that is usually what it takes if we want these kinds of relationship to shape and mold out lives. He is just sitting to my right, this picture is from my cell phone in fact as soon as I finish this sentence I am going to thank him for making me be real.

No comments: