Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I love MAC, do I love it too much?


I made the switch from from PC to MAC about a year ago, and I must admit I have become a macaholic zealot. I just read an article from Kem Meyer an artist whom I respect a great deal a faced some serious conviction of my MAC arrogance and PC mudslinging, I had to take a honest look in the mirror and need to change some of my recent attitudes. Here is that article:

Negative campaigning

A few weeks ago, my friend Lisa made this post on her blog.

This verse from the Message version of 1 Peter, 2:13-18 just struck me today...whether it's mudslinging in the political arena, or the mudslinging we do to each other - it's messy business and I don't like it one bit.

"Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you're living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy. Keep a clear conscience before God so that when people throw mud at you, none of it will stick. They'll end up realizing that they're the ones who need a bath."

The correlation to politics and church fighting is almost instantly obvious. But, when I read it. I immediately thought of something else.

I'm going to stick my neck out on this one. But, somebody has to say it. The verbal ribbing and good natured competition between MAC and PC users has reached a tipping point. It's not spurring good-natured competition, but fostering division and discontent.

Turning brother against brother.

Sound dramatic? Maybe, but it's been a burr in my saddle for quite sometime and I'm curious if anyone else sees what I see. Advocates on both sides of this choice are starting to resemble fanatical partisans and religious zealots.

In Branding Faith, Phil Cooke says that branding has become a religion.

"To secular culture, brands and religion have merged. The truth is, savvy marketers and advertisers have tapped into our global human aspirations for a sense of belonging, value, meaning and worship, and have turned ordinary, everyday products into brands--and eventually, brands into religion."

"There is no question that there is a dark side to the world of the brand. Brands have distorted the buying and selling of goods and services, hyping products based not on intrinsic usefulness or value, but on desire alone. It has distorted our priorities, making us believe that without this or that product, our lives will be meaningless and empty."

I think this is what has happened with the MAC/PC tribes.

Where do I stand on the choice? I believe they are both great tools. I could use either one and be happy with what I have. I think you should choose what you want based on your own preference, needs and budget. But, just because you use one doesn't make the other bad.

Negative campaigning is poor form in EVERY arena, even technology.

3 comments:

findservelove said...

Cut it out. You worship at the feet of Steve Jobs and throw your leftover dinner scraps to Bill Gates.

All hail the wearer of black shirts and Levi's. May he find peace and contentment in MacAirLand.

Elevate of Visalia said...

without my Mac my life would be meaningless, Steve made this all possible

Anonymous said...

There is no competition... it's like pitting Jesus against Satan. Jesus wins in the end my friend. Someday we will live in a land with no PC's and only the Apple reigning supreme. People said the same thing about automobiles... keep driving your horse drawn carriages. Sure they're cheaper but I'd rather drive something that doesn't s**t on me every few blocks. Long live Apple.