Monday, October 6, 2008

People in your life


The life we live is made up of experiences, as we experience things we change and grow. One of the most important factors is the people we meet along the way, especially the ones who we allow to have influence on us. One of the greatest gifts God gives us is people who leave a powerful imprint of their character and integrity on us. I am am thankful for the people that I have encountered along the way, a lot of them had an a amazing effect on me and have helped me grow as an individual. There were many I allowed to have influence on me in a negative way, I am thankful for the ones who had a long term positive effect on me.
Through my high school years I had a teacher who was extremely beneficial to my life. The funny thing is that he was kind of a goofball. He was scatterbrained (which is probably why I identified so much with him,) and to be honest pretty nerdy. In the middle of class he would always say "where's my glasses" and everyone would start laughing because they were on top of his head. The thing that really influenced me is that he was always about everyone else, he genuinely seemed to care more about others than himself, and it wasn't an act. I went to a boarding high school 50 miles away from home and he would invite to dinner with his family, and have me over to watch baseball games. He was a huge baseball fan and a the Red Box came right after Jesus and his family. I was in his living room the year Bill Buckner let the ball roll through his legs as they gave the world series to the Mets, I wish I could have been there when they won if for the first time a few years back.
Anyway I am just thankful for him today, and for helping instill some character in my life. This week I want to focus on some of the people who have had an beneficial impact on my life.

No comments: