Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day



I really have a lot of respect for the men and women who give of themselves to serve our country. Today is memorial day a day to remember those who gave all a sacrifice for us. The whole thought of being willing to sacrifice all for the good of the whole country is an amazing thing. I cant imagine what it is like to be in battle, and to be on constant guard, with your life on the line. I had a friend who was in Iraq who began to understand a relationship with God which he would find when he came home. He shared with me that while he was ducking for cover with enemy fire exploding all around him, he felt a strange peace that there was a purpose in his life. After he came home his wife, who was attending a church I was a pastor at, brought him to church. After hearing about a relationship with Jesus, he said it finally all made sense; this is what God had had protected him for, and that strange peace he felt in the midst of undescribable trauma, was Gods hand.


Some of the stories he shared with me of what it is like in real life war still make me shutter. The amazing thing is that the God who made his presence felt to a soldier dodging bullets is pursuing an intimate relationship with all of us, and offers the same peace that he felt for the trials and struggles in our life. Today I pray for the thousands of men and women in this same situation that they would feel the peace that God brings a realize their purpose as well- to know the creator and experience the new life that he brings.

No comments: