Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A PROUD FATHER


I really think I have learned more about God's love by having two sons, than I did in 37 years of Church, 4 years of College, 2 Years of Seminary, and 16 years of being a pastor combined. I had a lot of book knowledge about God, but it didn't really leave me with the genuine appreciation for how God really loves me until my boys were born.
Yesterday was one of the most proud moments I have had a as a father. My son has had a few tough games at the plate the last two weeks and was facing some discouragement. Yesterday it all started with one at bat in the 3rd inning; the pitcher dropped one right over the plate, and he crushed it... he really crushed it. I was so proud, he turned the corner at first and never hesitated and made a beeline for 2nd. As he was running you could practically see the joy on his face, the determination and relief from breaking out of the slump. He couldn't contain his Excitement as he took of his batting helmet and jumped up and down on the 2nd base bag, and raised his arms in triumph.
As a father I would have been just as proud if he had struck out again, in fact he struck out earlier in the game and I was so proud how he ran back into the dugout with his head up, he was gonna do it next time.
God's love for us in not based on our performance as a Christian or even as a human being, he loves us unconditionally, that means "no matter what. period.- and that will never change. I know from his word that he loves to rejoice with us when we overcome situations in our life with the strength and power he has promised to give us. The love that I feel for my son, and the excitement I feel for him when he succeeds can not even touch the Love that God demonstrated for us when he gave his life on the cross, and that he continues to pour out on us on a daily basis.
I am thankful for a earthly reminder of the love God has poured out on me that I all too often take for granted. I hope that My love to my sons is a constant reminder to them how much God loves them.

No comments: