Friday, September 5, 2008

Childlike: From Guest Blogger Glen Bryant


Where did it go? When did we lose it? How do we get it back? Is it even possible to get it back? Can we say that if we had before we can have again? Or is it once it’s gone it’s gone forever? Are you wondering what the heck I’m talking about? Read on.

I was reading an e-mail from a friend and she was describing her kids and what they were doing when she got home from work. One child was being “Mr. Helpful” as she put it, and her daughter was dancing and singing a cute little song…I can picture that in my mind can’t you? It made the stress of the day kind of melt away…her mood changed. Do you remember what it was like being a child before we started worrying about what others thought of us? We sang, skipped, danced, dressed in our parents clothes, climbed trees, played hopscotch and tetherball, played in the water every chance we got, and most importantly…whatever happened yesterday was gone and we were living for today! That’s what I’m talking about!

How do we get back the childlike attitude toward life we used to have? I happen to think it’s worth looking in to. Is there a “fountain of youth” inside each one of us just waiting to be discovered?

God has truly blessed me by allowing me to work with the youth in my community. I have been able to re-live so many childhood memories through hanging out with the teens. But even at their age life is already getting complicated. We have freshmen high school students already taking college prep courses…what’s up with that? (I know why and I think it stinks that they should have to work so hard so soon). Let’s face it, childhood is getting shorter all the time and I’m not sure it’s very healthy. How can you enjoy and remember something that went buy so quickly?

This summer I have been hiking up in the mountains as often as possible. I know why I’m enjoying it so much. When I was a kid I loved to explore, see things and go places I’d never been before, and that’s exactly what I’m doing now. It reminds me of…no, I take that back…it allows me to be a kid again. It’s not necessarily what I’m doing, but the mindset I’m in. What a freeing experience to let everything past and future go and just live in the moment. It’s a lot like when I started playing dodge ball with the teenagers…nothing else matters at the time but the game. The outside world disappears for a short time along with its problems and stresses.

Now let me clarify what I’m saying here. Yes, we have responsibilities, I know that. I’m not talking about playing hooky from work to go play with our toys or blowing all our money on candy. I’m talking about the “attitude” of a child when it comes to dealing with life.

I remember a family home movie we used to call “the great water fight” where my brother and I were wrestling around a little pool in our back yard trying to knock each other in the water. He finally gets the best of me and knocks me in the water. I didn’t look too happy about it and I started chasing him around the yard, but even if I had been really mad at him, I guarantee you by the next day, I wasn’t even thinking about it anymore! When we were kids we didn’t hold grudges (for long), we didn’t stay angry (for long), we didn’t throw what happened yesterday or a week ago or a year ago in someone’s face to win a fight or make someone feel bad. WE LET IT GO! We moved on…every day we started off fresh. (I do wonder if my brother ever forgave me for throwing a dart in his leg…sorry bro). We’ve all seen little kids crying frantically over something and then are totally content and happy just a few minutes later. They reacted then moved on.

To some this whole concept may sound silly, but let me remind you of a verse in the bible where the disciples are basically scolding people for bringing their kids to be blessed by Jesus…like Jesus was too busy or too important, and Jesus tells them…”Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, because the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” (Matthew 19:14) Could Jesus have been giving us a clue on how to get to heaven? Think about it.

By Glen Bryant

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew 18:3 (New International Version)

3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Anonymous said...

Good point. The kingdom of of Heaven isn't just something you experience after you die. According to Jesus it was something you experience when you allow God to bring heaven above down to dwell with is here on earth. When we live out a childlike faith, we put ourselves in a position to experience the kingdom of heaven on earth. Which is something that God desires for all of us to experience.