Monday, April 21, 2008

From Guest Blogger Glen Bryant


A couple weeks ago a light came on my dashboard that wasn’t normally on. It was a round symbol with the letters “ABS” in the middle. I new that I should know what that was, but when I couldn’t figure it out I had to break down and get the owners manual out. It said that it stood for “Anti-Lock Brake System”, and that since the light was on that there was a problem, and that my “ABS” was non-functional. The book warned that although my regular brakes were still working that I needed to get this checked ASAP.

Now I remember when there was no “ABS” on cars and how I felt when they started installing them in new cars. I was against it. How dare they take any control away from me. When I hit the brakes I want them to do what I want, not what the car was telling them to do. Now in case you don’t know, anti-lock brakes are designed to keep you from hitting the brakes and locking up the wheels. Simple enough right. I didn’t like the idea of that. What if I wanted the wheels to lock, now I can’t make them do it.

So anyway, this light has got me thinking again, is God trying to tell me something? Let’s see. The idea of giving up control, to gain control. Now I have had first hand experience with what happens when a cars wheels lock up. It happened about 6 years ago one evening when I was on my way home. I was leaving the freeway via an off-ramp and hit my brakes too hard. The result was a number of spins, followed by a number of rolls. My car ended up upside down with me lying on the ceiling. My car was totaled but I walked away without a scratch. (I wasn’t a Christian then, but I believe that God protected me.) So now I have to ask myself, what would have happened that night if my car had an “Anti-Lock Brake System”. Furthermore, what would have happened if I had given control of my life to God many more years ago?

Giving up control of our lives, to gain control of our lives is Christianity 101. It’s also one of the hardest things for us to do. We want to know that we are in charge of our lives and that we don’t need any help. We can be stubborn, pigheaded, control freaks that want to take credit for our successes without having to share the glory with anyone!

Well let’s get to the bottom line here. I am living, breathing proof, that when you give God control of your life, you gain control of your life. I have no problem giving Him all the glory because He deserves it. And I am at peace knowing that I am fulfilling His purpose now and not mine. Let me tell you…take that weight off your shoulders and let God carry it for you. He will give you as much as you can carry on your own, and the rest is in His hands. The difference in my life is like night and day, or more like darkness and light.

Here’s an example. Finances. Through God’s word I have learned what it means to be a “good steward” of what He has given me. I’ve learned to be wise when it comes to how I spend my money, and also obedient on how to give my money. No, this isn’t a tithing sermon, but I got to tell you how God has blessed me through my giving. I have increased my giving of finances over the years through tithe, building programs, missionaries, and other programs, and I could show you a bank statement that has a balance that keeps getting larger and larger. It is awesome what God can do with things when you give Him control. So don’t wait…take a chance…give God control. I think it’s the best way to get control of your life back.

If I had died in that accident 6 years ago, someone might have said “too bad he didn’t have anti-lock brakes”. Well now I have them in my car, and God is the “ABS” of my life. I suggest you get your “ABS”, no “AGS” (Anti-Lock God System), today, before your life gets “totaled”.

By Glen Bryant

No comments: