Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tough Decisions


I am enjoying being a baseball dad, I love heading out to the ballpark and watching my son play. Yesterday I was put into an uncomfortable position, it was my turn to be one of the umpires and call runners safe or out. My worst nightmare became reality, my son hit a grounder to 3rd base and started running down toward first, I could feel the beads of sweat starting to form as I realized my nightmare- it was going to be a close play, and I was going to have to make a call- Safe or Out. I was either going to disappoint my son by calling him out on a close play or upset the other team because they would feel I was showing favoritism. I got down in good position and watched the base and the 1st baseman's glove, taking a quick peek to see my son running for all he was worth. Jonah and the Ball got to the base and almost the exact time. I made my call... Safe!!! Immediately I began to fear the worst, parents would be calling for my head. Fortunately from my view Jonah looked like he beat it out by half a step. The coach from the other team began to protest- it was on. Then I got a surprising helper, the other umpire who was a dad from the other team- yelled at his own coach and said "he was right, he beat the throw by a step." I was so glad to hear a supportive voice from a unsuspected source. The other coach simply bowed his head and acknowledged he was wrong. There are a million different analogies here from Gods word, but I was thinking what the book of James says about wisdom, it says if you don't have it and desire it, Ask for it and God will give it to you.
God brought wisdom to the situation through an opponent, proverbs says when you apply wisdom in your life God will make your enemies your friends.
Hope I don't have any more close calls... but I know that I am imperfect but have a perfect Savior granting me wisdom where I come up short.

ps: we won the game 9-0 and re now a perfect 6-0

No comments: