Thursday, April 24, 2008

Sharpening my Perspective


I am thankful for the people that God has put in my life to help me in area's where I am weak (which is a ton.) Today I was able to have coffee with a great friend who wasn't trying to help me on purpose, we were just doing life together. But today, just some of the things he was pondering, provoked a thought process of my own, which really helped clear up my perspective on some personal and spiritual issues. I am my own worst critic and have grown up in a "Christian culture" that is heavy on the guilt and light on the grace of Jesus. I know I wasn't taught this on purpose- but what came across is that the guiltier you feel the closer you are to God and the more spiritual you become- which is a load of you know what. I am learning that my relationship with Christ has nothing to do with guilt, he took my guilt and shame on the Cross with him, and I can come to him right where I am at. He wants me to come to him with a confident humbleness, not because of who I am but because of who he is and what he has done.
So through my conversation today, I believe my heart is starting to catch up with what I am learning to be true: growing closer to God and living a meaningful life as a Christ follower is less complicated and guilt filled than I try to make it.
So today I am embracing my weaknesses as well as being thankful for them, because they are opportunities for God to show his strength and also to show his grace to some who doesn't deserve it.
Proverbs tells me that "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens another." I am thankful for my sharpening time today. The cool thing is that that simply came about by having a cup of coffee and sharing our stories... I believe that is the type of church and community Jesus intended for us to be a part of.

No comments: